Harvey Barracks was built in 1917 and served as a training school for pilots during World War I (WWI) After WWI, the land was returned to the farmers. In 1933, the area was used as an airfield. Additional barracks and a hanger were built, which served as a training school. The training school originally trained civilian personnel for the "Luftwaffe" (German Air Force). Pilots from the famous dive bomber squadrons and pursuit planes were also trained in Kitzingen. Towards the end of World War II (WWII), a few jets were stationed at Harvey Barracks and hidden in the forest. At the end of 1945, US Army units took over Harvey Barracks and from 1947-1949 it was called the Kitzingen Training Center. On 2 April 1951, Harvey Barracks regained its name in honor of Captain James R. Harvey, Company E, 359th Infantry, who was killed during the invasion of Normandy, France. For his actions of extraordinary heroism, he was awarded the distinguished service cross posthumously.


The Department of Defense announced on July 29, 2005 plans for the return of eleven Army bases to Germany in fiscal year 2007.  Additionally, two other bases were identified for return to Germany in following years.  These installation returns were scheduled as part of plans for the 1st Infantry Division headquarters'return to the United States with its divisional flag in the summer of 2006.  Additionally, the 1st Infantry Division's subordinate units, as well as selected V Corps and U.S. Army in Europe units, return to the United States, inactivate entirely, convert, or be reassigned in Europe to support Army transformation in fiscal year 2006.

U.S. Army - Harvey Barracks

Harvey  Barracks

inside 2008

Harvey  Barracks

inside 2009

Harvey  Barracks

inside 2020

Harvey  Barracks

Ammunition depot

Harvey  Barracks

Ammunitions depot near the runway

Harvey  Barracks

Battlefield trainings area

Harvey  Barracks

Exercise area

Harvey  Barracks

Runway

Harvey  Barracks

Shooting bunker

Harvey  Barracks

Skeet Shooting Range

Harvey  Barracks

Corlette Circle

Harvey  Barracks

Richthofen Circle

Click on the photos to enlarge them

Home Über mich Historie Kontaktinfo Sitemap
www.wuerzburg-photos.de US Army Barracks US Army Barracks Sitemap

Hindenburgkaserne

Edward Barracks

Hospital

Larson Barracks

Fotos von ehemaligen US Kasernen

ktuelle Fotos

Faulenbergkaserne

Leighton Barracks

BED & BREAKFAST

Alleberry seit 1999

Lincoln Housing Area

Harvey Barracks

Emery Barracks

Marshall Heights

Corvette Circle

Big Red 1

Ammunitionsdepot Steinbachtal

Leighton Housing Area

Ansichten von ehemaligen U.S. Army Barracks in Wuerzburg, Kitzingen Schweinfurt,

die in keiner Touristeninformation zu finden sind!

Views of former U.S. Army barracks in Wuerzburg, Kitzingen Schweinfurt,

which are not to be found in any tourist information!


Edward Barracks

very interesting external page about the U.S. Army in Europe: http://www.usarmygermany.com/

Link:

Copyright © All rights reserved. Created by B. Deppisch.

Only in German:

Disclaimer | Distance declaration | Terms of Service

Date: July 2021

These pages do not install programs and do not set cookies. No data is saved either!

Home


Photos


Shop


contact

Imprint: