The 33rd Field Hospital operates the United States Army Hospital Wuerzburg and is a 350-bed fixed installation serving the Würzburg MSA (Medical Service Area), an area exceeding 5,000 square miles. The major unit supported is the 3rd Infantry Division, the North Bayern Support District and a dependent and DAC (Department of the Army) population.
On January 16, 2008, the site administration handed the site back to the German Federal Agency for Real Estate (BImA).
In 2009, the federal government sold the site to Nürnberger Maiberg GmbH. This is where the new Mönchberg Park was created. The old building from 1937 was divided into 15 areas with 8 to 15 residential units. A total of 150 condominiums with 3 to 4 rooms and a size between 85 and 126 m² were built there. The new surgical wing erected in 1990 in the south-eastern part of the site was demolished.